Monday, April 28, 2008

Salmon and rice with vegetables in pita bread

Leftover rice is a common problem with a simple solution. Mix with vegetables, add meat or fish and dump into a pita bread. Voila, dinner!

Here's what I had for dinner today:

1 cup leftover rice
2 spring onions, finely sliced
6 champignon mushrooms, sliced
1/2 cup frozen peas
1/4 salmon fillet, cubed
1 to 2 teaspoons soy sauce
salt and pepper to taste
2 pita breads
6 to 8 tablespoons tatziki (-Greek yoghurt sauce with garlic and cucumber)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Heat pita breads for 8 to 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons canola oil or other vegetable oil in a skillet.
Saute spring onions and mushrooms for a couple of minutes. Add frozen peas and cubed salmon. Saute for 4 to 5 minutes, or until salmon is almost cooked through. Add leftover rice and soy sauce. Gently stir the ingredients together, and add salt and pepper to taste.

Slice pita breads in half, add the salmon and rice filling. Top with tatziki and serve while still hot.

2 comments:

Kitty said...

I love spring onions, or scallions. They're zesty and give a great crunch.
Were all your ingredients mainly leftovers? How neat that you can just make up recipes?
I hope you contribute your recipes to these larger cooking sites, too. I hate the thought of very bad recipes circulating out there.

Eva said...

Thank you kitty :-)

All my ingredients were leftovers or stuff I already had in the fridge. I always keep spring onions in my fridge. You know, they go with almost everything, except brownies. *LOL*