Saturday, April 26, 2008

Vegetable pita sandwich

Last year I bought three beautiful bikinis on sale. They are the prettiest bikinis I've ever owned!
The only problem is, they are one size too small. Or rather, they are in the size *I* should be! *LOL*

With summer just around the corner, I have decided to loose the extra pounds, because I really want to get into these bikinis. Not because I love using bikinis. I don't think I have used one since 1993!
But I love a challenge, and I think that exercising and eating more healthy will be good for me.

This morning, I made myself a vegetable pita that tasted wonderful. It was an easy start on the "new" me!

Vegetable pita sandwich

1 pita bread
5 to 6 slices of cucumber
1 medium tomato, sliced
1 tablespoon toasted pine nuts
2 to 3 tablespoons tatziki (Greek yogurt sauce).

Toast the pine nuts in a dry pan. Transfer to a small bowl or plate when done.

Toast the pita bread in a hot oven or a toaster. When done, cut the top of the pita almost off, and fill it with sliced vegetables, toasted pine nuts and tatziki.

You can buy tatziki at most stores, but it's easy to make your own:

Tatziki
2 cups Greek yoghurt OR make your own from regular plain yoghurt
(put plain yogurt in a big coffee filter in a big strainer/colander, set it in the fridge and next morning it has drained off the water and is wonderful and thick like Greek yogurt)

1/2 cucumber, peeled, seeded and finely chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 clove of garlic, minced
1 teaspoon fresh dill, finely chopped (optional)

Sprinkle the chopped cucumber with a generous pinch of sea salt and let it drain for a few minutes Avoid using a food processor to chop the cucumber since it will then have to be drained in a strainer)
Combine all the ingredients in a bowl. Keep in the refrigerator until served.

3 comments:

JAMJARSUPERSTAR said...

I LOVE pitta bread, and I am on a diet to fit into my summer dress too (stupid UK size 10, it's the curse of me!)
This is a great recipe and I'll have to try it - I like experimenting with different foods!
Love the blog
Ciao

http://scarletsculturegarden.blogspot.com
http://jamjarsuperstar.blogpsot.com

Kitty said...

awesome.
I think it's easier to lose weight in the summer months.
Good luck! If you have your mind set on losing it, it will happen.

Eva said...

jamjarsuperstar, I love pita bread myself. I think pita bread and salad makes a wonderful lunch :-)

Thanks for visiting my blog :-))

kitty, I totally agree with it being easier to loose weight in the summer months. During winter, all I want to do is to roll up in a chair with hot cocoa - while cursing the cold and snow :-D