Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Greek Briami - or Roasted vegetables



This dish is one of my favorited vegetable dishes. I got the recipe years ago from my Greek friend Evelyn, who is a fantastic cook.

Briami is something so simple as zucchini and potatoes roasted with herbs and oil in the oven. I sometimes add a fennel if I have some, but the original recipe is also good as it is. I have never had a reason to twist or tweak this recipe.
I serve the Briami with a slice of feta cheese on the top, and a basket of fresh bread on the side. It tastes delicious, and when I close my eyes, I imagine sitting on a Greek island with the Greek sun over my head.


Evelyn's Briami
(serves 6)

Pre-heat oven to 420F

10 good-sized zucchini, washed and scrubbed
and cut crosswise into 1/4 inch slices
7 large-sized potatoes, peeled and cut
crosswise into 1/4 inch slices
5 garlic cloves, sliced thin
2 very large onions,
peeled, cut in half, each half cut into
thirds (large wedges)
3 large tomatoes, peeled and cut into
quarters
1/3 lb of hard cheese (I use Parmesan or Manchego)
3/4 cup olive oil
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons oregano
3 tablespoons cut mint
3 tablespoons cut cilantro (optional)
salt and pepper

Put everything in a very large baking pan.
Pour water, olive oil on top and add herbs.
Season generously. Put your clean hands in
the pan and give all the veggies a toss so
herbs, and oil and salt and pepper go on
everything.
Roast in 420F oven for a couple
of hours, stirring everthing up a couple of
times to allow veggies on bottom to come up
and brown nicely too.

1 comment:

camelia said...

Hello,


We bumped into your blog and we really liked it - great recipes YUM YUM.
We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

We would be delighted if you could add your blog to Petitchef so that our users can, as us,
enjoy your recipes.

Petitchef is a french based Cooking recipes Portal. Several hundred Blogs are already members
and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

Best regards,

Vincent
petitchef.com