Sunday, January 24, 2010

Day 24 - The meat experiment



My vegetarian friends outside are thriving on seeds and nuts thesee days. The weather has been good, and I need to fill the bird feeders once a day. These small creatures sure eat a lot!
I have been good so far, or until last night, that is.

I went to a party last night. I hadn't told the hostess about my vegetarian project in advance, I was a little curious about what we would be served.
When they announced that we'd have Spanish tapas, I thought all was well for a minute, but that was soon to change.

The tapas bar offered Manchego cheese drizzled with honey, green leaf salad, prawns (which I'm allergic to), meatballs, ham, beef stew (is that really tapas-food?) and fried onion rings.
My problem was, I hadn't eaten in 10 hours, and I was literally starving. I love cheese, but cheese drizzled with honey is more of a dessert food than dinner in my book.

I had a lot of green leaf salad and I had two servings of bread.
It didn't help, so I decided to have four meatballs. I dis this for two reasons: I was at a party and I was not about to ruin my hostess' night by not eating what she was serving us. Second, I was curious to see how my body would react to meat after a month off meat (except the fish accident last weeken).

The meatballs tasted okay. They were served in a really spicy tomato sauce, so I didn't really taste the meat. But they made me fuller than I have been in a long time. It felt like I was carrying a stone in my gut.
I don't know if this incident can be related to the meatballs, but later in the evening it was almost like I had gotten a stomach bug. My stomach got really upset, and it was very uncomfortable.

I am a lot better today, thankfully, and I started my day with freshly squeezed orange juice, a cup of tea and a toasted bagel with creme cheese. A perfect Sunday vegetarian lunch if you ask me.

No comments: