Saturday, March 29, 2008

Fish tacos



I'm not going to join the debate wether the fish in fish tacos should be dipped in a batter and fried, grilled on the BBQ or butter fried. I like mine the latter, because I think the batter coated and fried fish often gets too greasy.

This is how I make mine. Fish Tacos (4 -6 servings).

Preheat oven to 400F.

First I make the cumin sauce, which is a must-have with the tacos.
Then I wrap up the tortillas in aluminum foil and heat them in the oven for 15-20 minutes.
I then chop up the vegetables for the tacos.
I fry the fish at the very end, because the fish can easily dry out and you want to serve it on the table while it's stille hot.

Cumin sauce

1 cup plain yoghurt
1 large tablespoon of sour cream
1 large tablespoon of mayonnaise
1/2 teaspoon cumin
juice from one lemon
salt to taste.

Mix all the ingredients in a bowl and refridgerate until it's ready to be served. The taste of the sauce will mature in the fridge. Taste it before you place it on the table. If it tastes too bland or too yoghurty, add more cumin. Some of you like food tasting hotter than I do, and those of you who do, might want to double the amount of cumin.

Berfore you start chopping the vegetables, remove the tortillas (I use flour tortillas, but use corn if you like them better) from their original package and wrap them in aluminum foil. Place them on the middle rack in the oven.

Vegetables

I serve my tacos with:

cabbage, sliced thin and roughly chopped
Tomatoes, cut in chuncy bits or wedges
raddishes, halved and sliced
lemon wedges to sprinkle over fish

chunky tomato salsa, mild or medium taste

Put each of the ingredients in a bowl, or serve them placed separately on a platter (see below).

For the fish:

1 lb cod filet, cut into finger thick strips
1 lime
1-2 tablespoons canola oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1-2 tablespoons butter

Place fish in a soup dish. Sprinkle with lemon juice from one lemon, canola oil, salt and pepper.
Let marinate for 15 minutes.

Melt 1-2 tablespoons of butter in a pan. Add fish, and fry for about four minutes, then turn and fry for another two minutes. Transfer fish to a serving dish.

Serve the flour tortillas still wrapped in the aluminum foil. It keeps them warm all the way to the table.





No comments: